THE ASTDA AWARDS LUNCHEON
July 15, 2021, 16:10 pm to 17:20 pm
The mission of ASTDA is to foster scientific knowledge, develop leadership, and champion practice in the field of sexually transmitted infections and one of our main objectives is to recognize outstanding contributions in STI control and prevention. The ASTDA Awards Luncheon is our opportunity to recognize individuals at various stages of their career who have made notable contributions to the STI field.
- Brief introduction of ASTDA (2 minutes) [Khalil Ghanem]
- Best STD Paper Award by a Young Investigator (10 minutes) [Bill Miller]
- The ASTDA Young Investigator Award is presented to a person engaged in outstanding work in the field of sexually transmitted infections who is no more than seven years from completion of training. This year’s winner is Dr. Anna Cope from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (5 minutes) [introduction by Khalil Ghanem followed by Dr. Cope’s brief statement]
- The ASTDA Achievement Award is presented to a person at mid-career to acknowledge an outstanding body of work in sexually transmitted infections or to an individual for a single major achievement in the field. The winner of this award is Dr. Bill Miller from Ohio State University [5 minutes] [introduction by Khalil Ghanem followed by Dr. Miller’s brief statement]
- The ASTDA Distinguished Career Award is presented to a person with a long and extraordinary career in the field of sexually transmitted infections. The winner of this year’s award is Dr. Cornelius (Kees) Rietmeijer (35 minutes) [introduction by Dr. Khalil Ghanem followed by a short tribute video followed by Dr. Rietmeijer’s presentation]